Thursday, August 20, 2009

WINGS by Aprilynne Pike

Publisher: HarperTeen (May 5, 2009)
Hardcover: 304 pages
Book Description (taken from front flap):
Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful--too beautiful for words.
Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.
In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.
Synopsis (my version):
Laurel is a regular sophomore in high school, except for the fact she's been home-schooled her whole life and doesn't have a heart beat. When wing-like petals begin to grow from her back, she discovers she's a fairy, but according to her friends David and Tamani, they aren't anything like what she thought. And if that wasn't enough, fairies have enemies too--ones who will stop at nothing to get what they want from Laurel and her family.

LIGHT TO DARK RATING: 90% Light <---------->10% Dark

REVIEW/COMMENTS: The novel was a light, easy read. Although I appreciated the simple, straight-forward style, the writing didn't pull me in as much as I hoped. I felt, at times, there was nothing really pulling the story forward. I knew from the book jacket that she was a fairy. So without any other chapter cliffhangers, I didn't have an urge to find out what happens next.

I also wish the characters came more alive for me, but I think that is just my personal liking for complex characters. All the characters seemed a bit one-dimensional to me since "nice" and "sweet" could be used to describe anyone. Perhaps the most notable character with a distinct personality was Chelsea, a side character. But I guess not all novels have to have self-loathing characters, right? :)

I do commend her for creating her own fairy mythology. I know from personal experience that it isn't always an easy thing to do since all the pieces of the puzzle have to fit together. However, I do wish the fairy/troll feud was explained a bit better. A reason was given, but it didn't make the feud believable for me. Perhaps it will be explained further in the three remaining novels in the series.

I, personally, will probably not read the remaining ones unless something changes my mind. But I do believe there are people who will enjoy this book. In a market filled with edgy YA, I think it is refreshing to read something light and cheerful.

~FINAL RATING~

The Fallen - Skip it

Angels of Light - Borrow it

No comments:

Post a Comment